Olympian I: Caleb

Oscar Swahn, was 72 years and 280 days old when he won his sixth Olympic medal at Antwerp Games in 1920.
72 years old.
I don't about you, but the closer I get to 30 the less excited I get about physical activity. I exercise because I HAVE to not because I have this yearning to climb a mountain or compete in a physically tasking sport. Hiroshi is a Japanese equestrian rider who earlier this year at the age of 70 qualified for the 2012 London Games. What would possess a man that old to embark on such an ardous task?


85 years old.
And now, behold, the Lord has kept me alive, as He said, these forty-five years, ever since the Lord spoke this word to Moses while Israel wandered in the wilderness; and now, here I am this day, eighty-five years old. Joshua 14:10

Caleb was 85 years old when the Isrealites reached the promised land. He wandered in the wilderness not because of his lack of faith but because of those around him. On reaching the promise land he approached an unconquered mountain inhabited by giants and told Joshua



GIVE ME THIS MOUNTAIN.

I don't get this. On reaching the promise land, Caleb doesn't ask for the lush valley that has recently been conquered. He reminds Joshua of that day 45 years ago and says I want a chance to claim what God promised mii.
The story gets better because a little later he says "it may be that the Lord will be with me"
IT MAY BE.
There was no dream or vision that he would conquer the inhabitants of the mountain.

No guarantee. But still, he wanted THE CHANCE to ATTEMPT at that which made others quake in their boots.



An olympian is not one that gives up on a dream.
An olympian is not one that cowers in front of an obstacle. 
An olympian is not one that allows the passage of time to dictate their abilities.
An olympian does not reach for the certain but aspires for that which is uncertain.
Caleb is an olympian. 

The older you get, the more you will hear people tell you to give up or let go of a dream. The rationale is always that you are too old but remember, with God ALL things are possible.

Check out my 2010 post on Caleb's name, mission and destiny.

5 comments:

Kemi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Abayowa said...

What touched me the most in reading about the Olympian, Caleb, is his bold 'attempt.' "It may be that the Lord may be with me." Wow. We only have eyes that can see so far, but we must learn to trust in our Father who has already seen the end from the beginning. Olympians might qualify for the London 2012 Olympics, but no one knows who's going to get the gold, yet the amazing thing is they are ALL going to attempt to get the gold regardless of what the eventual outcome would be.

dosh said...

Hmmm... I've read that story a couple of times and though it stood out to me, i never thought about it as long as i just did. Wow! Talk about bling faith! True Olympian, thank you so much for sharing, you just educated me :D

Tessa Doghor said...

Sweetie
Your pix is wrong
Caleb was still as strong as a young man even at 80 years or so
I guarantee you his bones were not weak, neither was his hair white
He was probably just distinguished.

My grandma recently died and if you look at her, she seemed a day over 65 or something, not everyone ages at the same rate.

At the time, Caleb was able to go into battle and combat real enemies, use your imagination, that pix does not describe Caleb.

Kafo Ola said...

Testing disquis