Hit my head with a stick



I am dressed in praise, masked by applause
I dwell in others  harmlessly but to you I’m an airborne disease that travels thru their lips to your head
I infect you so easily
So boldly you ingest me without even realizing that I am so deadly
I hide in your accomplishments
Your brilliance is my fragrance
Their vibrancy leads you to believe that I am boss
Justified by their praise,
I set you ablaze and you betray the One who gently urges you to obey
 my weapon of choice is stealth, masquerading as well earned accolades
You got mii bad and have no clue.
Fattening myself on your list of awards
I’ve taken up residence, I am the landlord.
Your heart,  MY home
Your thoughts are in my control
To be apart from me you would cease to exist
And so you enter the list of those who
And so you are confirmed on the list of those who persist to insist that they are His when in actuality you resist His call by allowing me to exist in your heart and so you are lost.

PRIDE

Lives I have touched, places I have been, books I have read or written, songs I have sang.
I am the person that I am.
Beautiful AND accomplished.,
Sermons that I have preached, men that I have dated, clothes I have worn and even people I have baptized
....

Sometimes in the service of God we allow the things we do for God to elevate us.
This is dangerous territory. I believe that pride can only be eradicated with pain, that is the only way that humility can shine in.

Please Lord hit me on my head with a spiritual piece of wood
Somehow it happened
But Lord here I stand
Hit me
Hurt mii if you need to but please humble me because I can’t get past me and all that I THINK I have accomplished


This is the song that inspired the post.
O ri mi wu ooo, E la 'gi mo.
Translation

My head is swollen (I am proud), Hit it with a stick.
being that i don't really speak yoruba the translation is not entirely correct so yeah bear with mii

8 comments:

Blessing said...

Wow that was DEEP!!!

Pride is dangerous...yes Lord, hit me with a piece of wood too...

Maid of Heart said...

"Sometimes in the service of God we allow the things we do for God to elevate us.

This is dangerous territory. I believe that pride can only be eradicated with pain, that is the only way that humility can shine in."

Kafo, this is a depth we can't contain easily.

And this inspires deeep reflection and true repentance.

Maid of Heart said...

BTW, that song is a favorite too.

Myne Whitman said...

This is a pit we so easily fall into. God help us all.

ps, enjoying your current playlist....

Kafo said...

@ Myne: I don't remember what the playlist is, it has been there since last year when I was in d US, in nigeria I can't listen to it but I'm glad it is a blessing to u

@Maid Of Heart: I heard it for d first time on monday night and now it is stuck in my head

@Blessing: I'm realizing that even acknowledging ur proud can make u proud. - really don't know how to fix it so that is were prayer comes in

Zoe Believer said...

Thank you so much first of all for your comments on my blog and next for this post. Pride, so easily we fall and yet like sinking sand so difficult to pull ourselves out from. May I learn to wear humility as a garment.

God bless you..

Jaycee said...

Lol. I liked "Lord please hit me with a spiritual piece of wood."

I'm really feeling this, Kemi. I can't tell you how much, but I can say one thing, "I'm blessed that I read your posts." They keep me in check, and everyone needs that. I thank God for you, and may humility (the fact that none of us have arrived and know it all) always be in our hearts. Amen.

Kafo said...

@ Jaycee: you have to listen to the song, seriously. There is something about hearing the truth in an unconventional manner that just helps it sink deep, i'm praying it stays that way

@ Zoe Believer: amen