Wisdom in my Teeth

Excruciating pain courses through my veins
it can't be explained and yet I'm told to quantify it.
I'm told to affix a number on a scale of one to ten,
but when will this torture end?
How can it be quantified when I've forgotten the familiar;
the simple ability to chew has been replaced by torturous movements of my jaw.
So i sit and pop painkillers like peppermints
in an effort however feeble to stem the tide.
There is no end in sight and so i sit and bemoan my misery,
singing, talking, laughing are all memories of the past
oh will i ever use my jaw to speak words of life
instead of moan and groan each response.

How could the dentist do this to me,
oh wait, she isn't a dentist but a 
oral and maxillofacial surgeon.
Surgeon my foot, more like a
19th century confederate general
letting off cannon in my mouth.
What would she know about my jaw,
and the structure of the individual bones that are my teeth.
What insight can she possibly shed about impacted infected molars that cause pain.
She is evil, how could she pretend to care,
all is wanted was my money,
all she wanted to do was inflict this pain so she could see me squirm and cry.
Psychopathic lady masquerading as a doctor.

auuuughhhhh


...
Right now I'm in alot of pain so i can't make this rhyme or be deep about this.
For the last 7 years on and off my wisdom teeth have given me problems, pain that always appears at the most inopportune time. In the last year it has gotten more severe and frequent so I made an appointment, rescheduled once (out of fear) and finally got them extracted yesterday.

Wierd but I sometimes treat God the way I rant and rave against my dentist. I sometimes convince myself when I'm in extreme pain that He is not all loving and is instead hell bent on causing me misery.
I forget about all of those countless hours that I prayed for relief and asked him to cleanse me. I conveniently suffer from selective amnesia to the point that I blame Him for my misery instead of thank Him (my dentist) for causing temporal pain (extracting my wisdom teeth) that will forever remove the eternal (7 years and counting permanent) one.

I forgot that the afflictions of this present time are temporal and are actually working for me a exceeding weight of glory that I can't see or imagine. Hmm Paul says it better in his second letter to the church in Corinth

16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. 17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, 18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal. 

So yeah even though right now I'm in pain I am thanking my dentist for this temporal pain that will put an end to my suffering. I am thanking my Lord and God for putting me in situations of pain that help purify and cleanse my character. For each situation of pain that brings peace and patience I thank God. For each situation of pain that removes another layer of pride that I possess I pause and say thank You God.
cuz most times 
i forget and whine

back to the vicodin
later

6 comments:

Rainyjoy said...

hi kafo,
sorry about the pain you r xperiencing, i've nvr had my teeth removed but i presume is 4 your own good.

i do not enjoy physical pain as it relates to my health and my dependence on some drug to help me stay strong is annoying but His grace has not failed me.

everytime, i face a situation that causes pain to my spirit mind, i realise there's a need for my heart to be cleansed so it could be used for God's glory.

thanx 4 sharing that powerful scripture.
God bless

Kafo said...

@ rainjoy It is for my own good it has been causng me problems for a while
I'm not a fan of physical pain either
but in times like these of spiritual or physical pain I am Learning to look up for the maker of the hills who created me in his image

Myne Whitman said...

Sorry about the toothache, I hope removing it solves the problem. Funny about the vicodin, my hubby took one for the first time today for migraine and has been sleeping since. Take care OK and get well soon.

disgodkidd said...

kafo i can relate. the told me mine were impacted and i had to take out all four. i hv only taken out one. and though it was an enjoyable experience...lol...am yet to return for the other 3...mayb cos it isnt hurting yet...pele my dear...

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

sorry for the pain. Hope you are feeling much better now. :):)

Kafo said...

@ ALL: THANKS FOR YOUR WELL WISHING STILL IN SOME PAIN FROM A COMPLICATION CALLED DRY SOCKET
sniffle sniffle