More thoughts on a Wartime Mentality

Some days I wake up stressed, go to school stressed, spend 10 hours or so on campus, get in my car realize where I’m going and get more stressed just thinking as I drive. I try and find a place just to chill and relax but it seems like everyone I meet ….
Yeah let’s call it spiritual schizophrenia coupled with amnesiac hope.

  1. Enemy Definition: Who really is your enemy? Your classmate, co-worker, annoying family member or the radical fundamentalist Muslims in Iraq? The truth is that when you have a wartime mentality you realize that all of these people are not the enemy. They are not even related to the enemy, in some cases they might even recognize the enemy if he was sitting right next to them with a pitch fork and two red horns. Paul says it best in his letter to the church in Ephesus, we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers and …

    I have to admit that most times I forget this.  It seems like I am constantly fighting in a battle of my own making with created foes masquerading as professors, classmates and family members. It seems like their number 1 job is making me miserable and so I expend energy, wasting much needed resources.

  2. Treatment of Allies: after one identifies the real enemy, one is able to clearly see who your allies are. It makes no sense to waste your ammunition on your allies. It makes absolutely no sense to die in friendly fire. It makes no sense to watch an ally die or to leave a comrade on the field of battle while their heart still beats. Paul says it best in his letter to the church in Galatia, bear ye one another burdens and so fulfill the will of Christ.

    I have to admit that I also forget this. My definition of community does not include all the ally forces from the four corners of the earth. Instead it is selective to those that  I can mentally understand, those who have similar issues that i can relate to and those that matter on some personal level to me.

Hmmmm amnesiac hope...
wow i got issues

5 comments:

Jaycee said...

I recently saw the movie "Hurt Locker," so yeah you're right...the fact that you fought with your fellow soldier last night does not mean he's the enemy. "Wartime mentality"...

Debbie said...

Hmm!

You couldn't have said it better, there are enemies within and enemies without.
Most of the struggles and battles we are enagaged in are of our own making, mostly friendly fire and like you said, everyone looses in a friendly fire because everyone morns when there is a death caused by accidental discharge.
We do accidentally discharge every second of every day; This is why abiding in the father is of great importance to the race.

Tisha said...

@kafo
i can sometimes be crazy. yes i can sometimes forget God and his goodness and his strength and remember that i used to think the enemy had power.
I choose this instant to know that my enemy is the devil. I choose to know that my enemy does not exist in the physical but in the spiritual and so i can only fight my enemy by employing weapons of faith, hope, joy, kindness, forgiveness, understanding, steadfastness, patience, all of them one by one.

Did i add love? it's a must!
phew! How on earth am i going to love everyone right?

Myne Whitman said...

Interesting thoughts but I wouldn't take some too far.

Have a good weekend.

Rainyjoy said...

hi kemi, this is my first time here and i couldn't help but comment on this post. 'Eph 6 :12-For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. i hv come to realize the truth in these words, we are not supposed to fight our fellow humans but let God fight on our behalf, i hv so many testimonies of how God has fought on my behalf while i kept loving those who did me wrong. if we can build up so much love for our fellow human and also trust God to fight those who do us wrong and wish us evil, we would save a lot of energy from having to retaliate and fight back.
am glad i dropped by ur post. thanks to jaycee
@ kemi, kp up the good work.