My response to hate

There was a person whose position in the church had changed
A person who is supposed to be sanctified and a replica of God
Two days later, she resorts to hurling accusations
Why?


There was a basketball game between two churches
Not more than 45 minutes after prayers were said
Punches were thrown
Why?

There was a man whose loves his wife
His wife had just been likened to a female dog
20 seconds later, he’s in a tussle
Why?

He said
She said
That is how is always begins
A word sometimes two or three and then it starts
The need to attack
The need to assert
Why do we always have to resort to violence?
Do we have to confirm their suspicions?
Do we need to give them a reason to enslave us once more?

Bump that
We are slaves
Slaves to violence
Slaves to words
What is it about the black man that makes us behave in such a fashion?

I refuse to be defined by someone else’s words
I refuse to be defined by someone else’s expectations
I refuse to behave like an animal
I refuse to bring myself down to their level
I refuse to be another statistic

So bring it on
The words
The hate
The prejudices
I can take it
Not because I know you are right
But because I know who I am


I am mii

Copyright ©2007 Kafo

9 comments:

Noni Moss said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Noni Moss said...

:-) very interesting. I like!

Jaycee said...

Geez...u write...delightfully well...

Olubusayo said...

dats my sister!

Kafo said...

sista
i'm not ur sister
this is a blog
i know no one
anywayz
there is a story
basically the scenerios involve Pastor T's church ppl.
DRAMA

Vixen said...

Niice. What a great start...this message should be preached to hella people---all peoples.

Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...

I refuse to be defined by some else’s words
I refuse to be defined by some else’s expectations
I refuse to behave like an animal
I refuse to bring myself down to their level
I refuse to be another statistic

This about sums up my life!!! You're an amazingly talented writer... i'm inspired!

Poetic Justice said...

that's my sister!

Daydah said...

I like...I love!
Inspiring! Just about sums up what we should stand for and believe in.
Lovely.....